[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: JavaScript to grab email (fwd)

> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:53:56 -0800
> From: Daniel L. Smith <dls@JavaJoint.com>
> Subject: Re: JavaScript to grab email (fwd)
>
>         whoops, sent that too quickly...
>
>         resuming:
>
>         It seems to me that you could do the same thing with ftp.
> Have a frames document where the html for one of the panes comes through
> anonymous ftp instead of http.  You would then have a process essentially
> doing a tail -f on the log file.  Any new addition could trigger a script
> to parse the last line of the log file, and do whatever.  No JavaScript
> involved.

But that's the other way round. - The work is done by the ADMIN of the ftp
site, there should/is no easy way for a simple USER (eg. document/JavaScript
writer) to get the log files of a (good/secure/..) ftp site.

( Surely, I want to control what MY LOCAL browser is going to do!! )

>                                 Daniel
>
> 	       Daniel L. Smith, Petaluma/Sausalito, CA
>         dls@JavaJoint.com   www.JavaJoint.com   dls@daniel.org
>  Mammal, Husband, Father, Brother, Webhead, Prankster, Caffeine Addict

Ciao,
	Achim

--

Follow-Ups: References: